Paying for Graduate School

We know funding your graduate education is one of the most important considerations in choosing and completing your graduate program. In addition to staying in touch with your Financial Aid counselor, we have a few resources related to graduate funding.

Cost of Attendance

For estimates of current tuition and fees, see Student Financial Services.

Financial Aid

Being categorized as a graduate student has an effect on your eligibility for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information. Financial Aid also has information specific to graduate students.

Also visit the FAFSA application page:


Graduate students are eligible for many of the scholarships available through Humboldt State University. Search for them here!

Application opens: each January 1

Deadline: each April 1

Graduate Student Support

In addition to financial aid, other forms of support are available for graduate students. For example, employment as a student assistant, teaching associate, graduate assistant, and research technician or assistant are available in some programs. These positions are awarded on a competitive basis. Please check with the administrative assistant or graduate coordinator for each program.

Tuition Waivers

Two types of tuition waivers are available for graduate students: nonresident tuition waivers and fee waivers for graduate assistants/teaching associates.

Tuition Fee Waivers for Nonresident Students:

The university may waive nonresident tuition fees for individual students who display exceptional scholastic ability and prior scholastic achievement. To be eligible, students must enroll in a minimum of 10 units. Individual programs decide who receives the fee waiver allocation.

Tuition Fee Waivers for Graduate Assistants and Teaching Associates:

To be considered for financial assistance offered by some programs, including GA/TA fee waivers, be sure to file a FAFSA by March 2. Contact your department for details.

    • Only students who do not receive a SUG or other fee coverage will be eligible to receive a GA/TA waiver.
    • You must be appointed at a minimum of 15 hours/week as a graduate assistant or minimum of two WTU’s as a teaching associate and be enrolled for at least two units related to your academic program to receive a fee waiver.
    • The amount of the fee waiver will vary; students who enroll for six or fewer units will receive funding for half-time enrollment, and those that enroll in more than six units will receive support for full-time enrollment. You must enroll for at least seven academically relevant units to be eligible for a full-time waiver.
    • Effective 2014-15 AY GA/TA waivers are limited to 2 years (4 semesters) maximum, available only for eligible students who have completed no more than 125% of the published minimum units of the Masters' program.

Fellowships & Scholarships

The Switzer Fellow Program offers one-year Fellowships to highly talented graduate students whose studies and career goals are directed towards environmental improvement and who clearly demonstrate leadership in their field. 
Deadline: January 7, 2019

HSU Internal Deadline: October 3, 2020
Deadline: Friday, February 15, 2019
The application opens each year in July and the deadline is the first Wednesday of October at 11:59 EST.
Applications open April 1, 2019 and close October 8, 2019